A favourite quote and a way by which to approach life.

Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday.

Monday 25 April 2011

Something I could do without

When I got the news about Nn I felt as though I couldn't cope with the stress of my stupid carers coming so I cancelled them for two weeks. It seems incredibly ridiculous that the people who are supposed to be helping me are actually causing more stress, but they are. Today was their first time back here and I was dreading it. I received the time sheet on Saturday so knew who to expect, and was dismayed to see that I'm stuck with the most incompetent of them all for each of this week's visits.

Tonight I wanted Stupid Carer Woman (SCW) to make a pasta sauce. I gave her a recipe. A very easy recipe for a basic tomato sauce with the addition of mushrooms and fresh basil, reminding her that both these ingredients would need to be very well washed because of the stuff that gets sprayed on them and to which I'm allergic. Fine. Left her to it while I finished off what I was doing on the computer, until she called me back asking if 'saute the onions' means to slice them. Feeling despair begin to spread over me I explained what 'saute' means, and went through the rest of the recipe for any more difficult words ... such as 'cook'!

I went off to have my bath, afterwards coming back through to find that what SCW had made actually looked okay. A huge surprise. I had my dinner about an hour ago, and was equally surprised that it tasted okay ... not fantastic, and it had a bit of weird after-taste, but okay. However, I'm now very itchy scratchy, rather wheezy, and my insides feel squiffy. I suspect that SCW didn't wash the mushrooms and basil very well, because this feels very much like an allergic reaction to something, and I haven't eaten anything else that I could be allergic to. I'm hoping beyond hope that this doesn't progress into anaphylaxis, but either way, this is something I really could do without.

4 comments:

Raven/Missy said...

I hope you feel better fast and that the reaction doesn't go beyond the itchies.

I hope that the carer system that is providing your home assistance has a way of lodging a complaint because it sounds like a major complaint needs to be lodged against this woman. You gave her very clear instructions including a warning that you are allergic. For her to not follow those directions is dangerous to your health. It also shows a complete lack of proper training that could result in severe harm to a patient.

Joy said...

C has let us know (on Virtual Slimming) about your severe reaction. I haven't looked at the messages yet today, but just to say I do hope you are feeling a lot better and that you will soon be home again.
And I hope something is done about the cause.
J x

BeckyG said...

Thank you Missy and Joy. It's been tough, but I'm getting there now. Thank you for your concern and support.

BeckyG said...

Thank you Missy and Joy. It's been tough, but I'm getting there now. Thank you for your concern and support.